It is commonly believed in the United States that school is where people go to lớn get an
education. Nevertheless, it has been said that today children interrupt their education
lớn go to lớn school. The distinction between schooling & education implied by this remark
Line is important.
(5) Education is much more open-ended and all-inclusive sầu than schooling. Education
knows no bounds. It can take place anywhere, whether in the shower or on the job,
whether in a kitchen or on a tractor. It includes both the formal learning that takes place
in schools & the whole universe of informal learning. The agents of education can
range from a revered grandparent to lớn the people debating politics on the radio, from a
(10) child khổng lồ a distinguished scientist. Whereas schooling has a certain predictability,
education quite often produces surprises. A chance conversation with a stranger may
lead a person lớn discover how little is known of other religions. People are engaged in
education from infancy on. Education, then, is a very broad, inclusive sầu term. It is a
lifelong process, a process that starts long before the start of school, & one that
(15) should be an integral part of one's entire life.
Schooling, on the other hvà, is a specific, formalized process, whose general
pattern varies little from one setting to lớn the next. Throughout a country, children arrive sầu
at school at approximately the same time, take assigned seats, are taught by an adult,
use similar textbooks, bởi homework, take exams, & so on. The slices of reality that
(20) are lớn be learned, whether they are the alphabet or an understanding of the workings of government, have usually been limited by the boundaries of the subject being taught.
For example, high school students know that they are not likely to lớn find out in their
classes the truth about political problems in their communities or what the newest
filmmakers are experimenting with. There are definite conditions surrounding the
(25) formalized process of schooling.
1. What does the author probably mean by using the expression “children interrupt
their education lớn go lớn school” (lines 2-3) ?
(A) Going to lớn several different schools is educationally beneficial.
(B) School vacations interrupt the continuity of the school year.
(C) Summer school makes the school year too long.
(D) All of life is an education.
2. The word “bounds”in line 6 is closest in meaning to
3. The word “chance” in line 11 is closest in meaning to
4. The word “an integral” in line 15 is closest in meaning to
(A) an equitable
(B) a profitable
(C) a pleasant
(D) an essential
5. The word “they” in line đôi mươi refers to
(A) slices of reality
(B) similar textbooks
6. The phrase “For example,” line 22, introduces a sentence that gives